Get ready, because I'm about to tell you all about the perfect cloth wipes for bum changes.
Yes, I said it. Perfect.
I've had the opportunity to try many different types since our daughter was born, and there are lots of great options out there, but (in my opinion) none measure up to the awesomesauce-ness of the Organic Bamboo Velour wipes from Etsy shop Two Sweet Potatoes.
I first discovered Two Sweet Potatoes and these OBV wipes over a year ago via a giveaway at the mama blog So Easy Being Green which I was lucky enough to win!
Before I even got to trying the wipes, I was impressed that the shop owner, Nikki, took the time to write me personally congratulating me on the win and letting me know that the prize would be shipped out soon. Such a nice added touch!
Then when I finally got my hands on 'em I proceeded to realize just how sweet these things truly were. A full year of regular use later, and lemme tell ya - they'll still going super-strong!
Alright, let's get to the specifics.
From the product description:
Just say no to folding! These wipes will fit right in a wipes warmer or container without folding.
- Double-sided organic bamboo velour
- Ultra soft for sensitive skin
- Eco-friendly diaper wipes
- Removing makeup
- Works well just with water or with your favorite wipes solution
- Use as a doubler/cloth diaper insert for added absorbancy (I use 2 for my son at night)
- These wipes are hand finished. I do not use chemical fray block
- Approximately 7 1/4 x 4 1/4
- Organic bamboo velour (70% organic bamboo viscose, 28% organic cotton, 2% polyester)
- Machine wash any temperature (I wash mine in hot), dry low
When I contacted Nikki earlier this year about a blog giveaway partnership, I told her she didn`t even need to send me more wipes because I could base my review on the ones I already had. However, she was generous enough to send me an extra set of 8 wipes in a rainbow of colours (fuschia, apple, turquoise and orchid).
This should give you an idea how big these wipes are - about the size of an adult hand (unfolded).
And here is a comparison pic of a year-old wipe (left) and a brand new wipe. Aside from the material becoming slightly less plush over time, notice that they look quite similar.
So why do I luuuuurve these things so stinkin' much? Well, let me count the ways!
- They are incredibly absorbent - even after just a single laundry prep cycle!
- They have amazing "wipeability" - messes get picked up efficiently and stay on the wipe.
- They're the optimal size and thickness. Thick enough to use without folding (giving a nice, large surface to work with), or you could fold a single time during use, if you prefer.
- They are reaaally soft - wonderful on your little one's delicate skin!
- They're made of organic bamboo velour - a more sustainable material than many other wipes on the market.
- They are super durable. As I alluded to above, the wipes I've been using for almost a year (through 100+ laundry cycles) are still in wonderful condition! They don't get at all wonky, bunchy or uneven after laundering, they maintain the exact same size and shape and the trim has remained perfectly snug after all these months.
- Finally, since these wipes are thick enough to use without folding, you save a bundle of time on your diaper laundry! How much? Well, let's assume a wipe which gets folded into quarters takes about 10-12 seconds to locate, fold and stack. 30 of these (an average laundry load) would then take 5-6 minutes total. While this may not seem like much for a single folding session, it adds up to more than an hour each month. Compare this with the TSP OBV wipes which just need to be located and stacked, taking about 3 seconds each. Doing the rest of the math, that's over 45 minutes freed up per month!
The only potential criticism I can see with these wipes is that they're not large enough for a single one to perform both as a wet and dry wipe. This isn't a concern for us as we keep a clean prefold on our daughter's change table to dry her bum before a new diaper goes on. And, as mentioned in the last point, the time savings involved in not having to fold these smaller-than-average wipes is worth any "inconvenience" here, IMO.
So yup - these are definitely my go-to wipes for diaper changes, and if I were to start fresh with the knowledge & experience I have now I'd invest in a 30-wipe starter set (or more!) upfront.
What about the other potential uses for the wipes as listed in the product description - as wash cloths, doublers for night diapering, etc.? Well admittedly, I haven't used these wipes for any other purpose because a) they're just so amazing as bum wipes and b) now that we've been using them as bum wipes, I don't really want to start using them for another purpose, if you know whadda mean. That said, I'm pretty sure I'd find these wipes a bit on the small side to use as bath or meal time wash cloths. This is where I do like some additional width and bulk, and I'm willing to spend the extra time prefolding to get it. The doublers idea is compelling, however I have so many dedicated diapering materials for this purpose that I'd rather keep these guys reserved for their primary purpose.
Visit Two Sweet Potatoes on Etsy and purchase some of these amazing Organic Bamboo Velour wipes for yourself! At just $1.50 per wipe (and less if you buy a set of 30 or 60) they're a total steal! Note that these wipes are (understandably) very popular so sometimes take up to 3 weeks before shipping, however Nikki accepts pre-orders which is a great option if you need them at a particular time!
While you're at her shop, take a look at the other sweet merchandise Nikki has to offer - hats, tops, dresses, bibs and more! Everything is organic, handmade and designed with comfort in mind for babies and toddlers!
One lucky Manager to Mom reader will win a rainbow 8-pack of Two Sweet Potatoes Organic Bamboo Velour wipes of their own!
To enter, please fill out the Rafflecopter form below. Comments do not count as entries, however feel free to add a comment to remind yourself that you entered!
a Rafflecopter giveaway Disclosure: The prize is being provided and shipped to the winner by Two Sweet Potatoes. I received no financial compensation for writing my review or offering this giveaway, although I did receive the sample items free of charge. This is my completely honest opinion above and may be different from yours.