With another month or two of cold weather still on deck, I've been gathering ideas for fun crafts and activities I can share with my 26-month-old daughter S. She's at such a wonderful age for learning, exploring and experimenting and the last thing I want her to feel is bored and unstimulated during the long hours we're spending indoors! (As a fringe benefit, this may also dissuade her from laying the smack down on her baby brother ;) )
I've already uncovered a bunch of cool projects to try with her, from homemade lava lamps to bath tub science and I'm sure I've just scratched the surface, as Pinterest is proving to be a goldmine for creative kid awesomeness! All this has motivated me to challenge myself and try out a new creative craft or activity with S each day for 30 days straight.
Here are the rules I'm following for this challenge!
- Each day of the challenge must have a different craft/activity
- A maximum of 5 activities can be familiar (i.e. ones I have tried out before)
- Activities must allow the child to participate directly
- Activities must be safe and use non-toxic materials
- Activities must involve creativity beyond simply using a commercial product as designed. For example, putting together a beaded jewelry box using a beaded jewelry box construction kit doesn't count! That said, commercial products can be used to supplement a more involved creative activity (e.g. Playdoh).
I will share each day's activity on FB and Twitter (using the hashtag #ckchallenge), and blog about our experience when the challenge is over! Also, I will be continuously adding to my Creative Toddler Activities Pinterest board to fuel my inspiration! :)
Who's up for taking the 30-Day Creative Kid Challenge with me? Do you have any suggestions for toddler-friendly crafts or activities that would be fun to include?
(Note: I will be starting this challenge today (February 12) however feel free to start whenever this works for you!)