Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"Anti-Sick" Recipe: Onion, Lemon and Honey Drink

This past Winter, my family was constantly sick. We'd get over one illness and boom, down we were with another. Strep, gastro, multiple colds & the list goes on. I'm pretty sure the entire staff at the walk-in clinic knows my astrological sign by now.

In addition to all these maladies, I was also battling general fatigue and brain fog, so I decided to be proactive about the whole situation and booked an appointment with a local naturopath.

I'm so glad I took this step! 2 1/2 months later, I can definitely say I'm feeling a lot more energetic and focused.

And as for the sickies? Well, one of the many fascinating health "tools" my ND supplied me with was a recipe for an onion drink.

"An onion drink?" you say, scrunching your nose.

Yes indeed! Though I promise you that it's actually quite good.

And more importantly, since I started drinking this li'l concoction, I haven't been sick. At all. Despite the fact that I continue to encounter germ factories posing as humans on a regular basis (including my husband who's currently battling a narsty sinus infection, poor guy.)

Not making any "official" medical claims here. Just sayin'

So why an onion drink, you still may want to know. Well, similar to garlic, onions are packed full of immune boostin' phytonutrients and other goodies which helped earn 'em a spot on the The World's Healthiest Foods list.

But seriously - isn't the flavour kind of gross? Nope - the opposite, in fact. It's refreshing and tangy, with a hint of sweet.

Want to try it out for yourself? Well, it's your lucky day! :)

Onion, Lemon and Honey Drink

Ingredients:
  • 1 large red onion
  • 1 lemon (preferably organic)
  • 1 tablespoon raw honey
  • Water

Steps:
  • Chop up onion and place in 32oz resealable jar (e.g. mason jar or pickle jar).
  • Cut lemon into 4-6 pieces and squeeze into jar.
  • Seal jar and refrigerate for 3 hours.
  • Heat honey until it's in a liquid state and pour into jar.
  • Fill jar with water. Leave about an inch of air at the top.
  • Seal the lid tightly and shake shake SHAKE!!!
  • Refrigerate overnight.
  • Pour and enjoy!


Note: If you're feeling brave, you can eat the onions too. I don't personally love how they tend to "make an appearance" again later, however, so I stick to the drink myself. :)

What do you do to boost your immune system during cold & flu season?

8 comments:

  1. We use that once and awhile! Usually though, we (including the children) all eat a piece of garlic everyday, and several times a day when we are sick. We also take a "hot toddy" which is water, raw apple cider vinegar, and honey. Works great!

    As for the leftover onions from your drink...you could freeze them in a baggy, and use them in a recipe that calls for onions. (What recipe doesn't?) Nothing to waste! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, that's great that your kids are all willing to eat garlic! I do that sometimes too. Do you get them to swallow bigger pieces of it? The one downside I find is that when I cut it into small pieces (or especially when I chew it) my stomach feels a little off for a bit. I've gotta try the water, apple cider vinegar and honey thing too! (Just bought some apple cider vinegar, actually. Planning to try it as a conditioner. :)

    And good idea re: leftover onions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, so I admit my first reaction was 'ewwww!', but with everyone in my house being sick all winter as well I'm thinking it might be worth a try. Have you tried giving some to S? My little guy does love things with garlic, but I'm not sure if he'd go for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Shara - Nope, haven't actually given it to S yet but I think she'd go for it, possibly diluted about 50/50 with water. If your guy loves garlic, then that's a good sign! Couldn't hurt to give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting! What does it taste like?

    Visiting from SASS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandmother just gave me this concoction and I had to look it up to see if it was an old wives tale with validity or not. The preparation is a little different but it requires the same ingredients. I'm battling with a cold and a toddler. Where are the husbands when you need them. When mom goes down it's over! Ugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hear you - being sick with littles is the hardest thing ever! Good luck mama!

      Delete
  7. My Grandma always made this, except she boiled the onion, strained it off, in the juice added honey and lemon and then bottled it. So good <3

    ReplyDelete