Monday, October 3, 2011

Menu Plan Monday: Our Plentiful Patch

First of all, excuse the late posting here. I actually "slept when baby slept" during S' nap today as I was feeling pooched after a couple late nights out this weekend.

This weeks' menu attempts to use up more of the vegetables that continue to come out of our garden! It's incredible how late of a harvest we're getting this year. And there's that one remaining block of paneer cheese in the fridge begging to be enjoyed as well.

Oh, and I'm sneaking yesterday into the menu as well. *nods* Is that cheating?

Sunday:
Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes and Mushrooms + a simple cucumber tomato feta salad. This took care of a cucumber and some of the remaining grape tomatoes from the garden, plus the plum tomatoes from our latest Pfenning’s basket.

Monday:
Broiled Scallops + Green Beans with New Potatoes. We've had a bag of scallops in the freezer for awhile now so it's time to bust those out, plus I was surprised to see all kinds of beans left in the garden when I checked the other day! I'd totally thought those bad boys were finito.

Tuesday: 
Paneer Biryani with Cucumber Raita. (Yup, another cucumber from the garden!)

Wednesday:
Chris is out at curling, so leftovers. Wednesdays will probably be leftover/eating out nights more often than not this Winter!

Thursday:
Spinach, Mushroom and Ham quiche. I've made this one before and it turned out awesome, despite using a pre-made crust. I'll be doing this again because we *still* don't have a quiche pan (my stepmother apparently has one with our name on it but haven't grabbed it from her yet). But here's the thing - even if/when we do own a pan, I might just continue using the pre-made crusts, at least while we have young kiddos. As much as I'm all about making things from scratch whenever possible, well, time is of the essence these days and something's gotta give. :) And without the homemade shell-ement, this is a 15-minute meal. FTW.

Friday:
Dinner out with the girls!! We’re heading to Sole (an upscale casual Mediterranean restaurant) in downtown Waterloo. Surprisingly, I’ve never been there before. It’ll be nice to get out with the ladies and the Dinner Menu looks incredible!

Aside from actual meals, our garden is positively TEEMING with jalapenos and other peppers, so I'm going to try whipping up a homemade hot sauce! I'm not sure why I hadn't thought of this before as we looove our hot sauce and the garden's been producing these babies all season! And apparently the sauce can last up to 6 months in the fridge in an airtight container. We'll totally use it in half that time!

1 comment:

  1. Our garden is also overflowing with hot peppers lately. TONS of them. We definitely get more of them than anything else. MacGvyer has taken to making decorations out of them . . .

    ReplyDelete