Friday, May 27, 2011

10 Things You Probably Shouldn't Know About Me

I saw this meme over at Tales from the Nursery and What Mama Wants, and I had fun reading both of their Top 10s and learning some dirt on two of my favourite mama bloggers. ;) What is it about secret confessions and weaknesses that is so fascinating? It is kind of like rubbernecking at a traffic accident? Or, does it make us feel better ourselves to know that others who may seem like super-people on the surface are actually quite normal, just like us?

In any case, I decided to participate with my own list! This'll be challenging since I already mentioned that I was the picked on kid and am perfectionistic to a fault, and that I have a fear of parasites and am chronically late for things. But I'm sure I can drum up another ten. Alright, let's hit it!


  1. I was fired from my first job at [INSERT FAST FOOD CHAIN HERE] as I got caught doing what most of us did - giving a discount to my friends. My boss literally kicked me out into the back alley, and I literally peed my pants from the acute stress and guilt of the situation! Once I had calmed down (after a few days), I wrote a letter to my (ex) boss apologizing, and paid back the difference as well as my outstanding food bill. Even at 18, it would appear I already had a pretty decent moral fibre!
  2.  The first time I drank a large quantity of alcohol (back in highschool), I drank *so* much that my parents almost had to take me to the hospital for fear of alcohol poisoning! All I can recall from that night was throwing up on my friend's bathroom floor and my mom attempting to take out my contact lenses. I had a 3-day hangover so definitely learned my lesson! Oh, and I also committed to memory the phrase "liquor before beer, never fear; beer before liquor, never sicker!" *Nods*
  3. When I was a little kid (probably 3 or 4), I lived in fear for some time that the cops were going to come take me to jail. Why? Well, I'd been playing in the basement and at one point picked up the phone and pretended to have a conversation. After a little while, I heard the automated message "Please hang up and try your call again. Please hang up now. This is a recording!" I thought I'd somehow done something realllly bad!
  4. In addition to the self esteem issues I've already alluded to, I've also endured episodes of moderate depression. The most recent lasted for a couple months and lifted early on during my pregnancy with S. I was casually seeing a therapist at that point who basically concluded that I'm too hard on myself and I need to respect my own desires and limitations. I was worried I'd experience postpartum but luckily I haven't - so far. *knock on wood* I've never taken drugs for this and hope I never need to, but I will if I ever get to the point where I feel it's the only thing that can significantly improve my quality of life!
  5. I have a hard time following action movies. I think it's all the characters and the speed at which events take place. I must automatically tune out because I inevitably find myself having no idea what's going on at some point during the movie.
  6. I once stole a soap dispenser pump from [INSERT BIG BOX STORE NAME HERE]. Yes, a soap dispenser PUMP; not the dispenser itself. Long story. Suffice it to say that I think it was merited.
  7. For a period of time after university prior to nailing down a job, I Didn't Do Much. There were some days I would literally waste away in their entirety playing Tangleword (online Boggle) or Killer Instinct Gold on the N64. Man, that was a lot of free time. I'm appreciative of a free 45 minutes now! (Which I'm currently enjoying, since Little One actually went down for a substantial, much-needed nap. w00!)
  8. Related to 7, I've been quite addicted to video games in the past. Diablo II was a big one. Other time-suckers included the Elder Scrolls games (Morrowind and Oblivion, specifically), Nintendo platformers, the Zelda series, etc. More recently, Bejewelled Blitz on Facebook. However, I have managed to steer clear of some of the biggest - no MMORPGs, Farmville or Frontierville for me, thankfully!
  9. Christmas kinda stresses me out. Don't get me wrong - I love the time spent with family, relaxation, food and cheer. It's the over-the-top giftiness that gets me a little neurotic. Both the process of buying gifts, too late, yet again (along with other harried shoppers) AND acquiring a bunch of new things to find a home for in our house. I hope I don't sound ungrateful saying this, as I do appreciate the thought that goes into gifts, and we've certainly received some very nice and useful things. I just think there's too much of a focus on this aspect of Christmas.
  10. I don't always brush my teeth at night. Sometimes I'm just too tired. BUT. I floss and brush really well EVERY morning! I feel gross if a day goes by when I haven't flossed.
There. For better or for worse, that was surprisingly easy. :)

Allllright - so how about the rest of you out there? Care to let a few skeletons out and share your own 10 Things?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I should post about the things I've done wrong, or have hidden. My mom reads my blog though. She's told me in the past that there are just some things she'd rather not know. maybe I will, maybe I won't. LOL I like yours.

    Thanks for entering the giveaway on Planet of the Apel's!

    ReplyDelete